When you ask a person about the good things about Instagram you will see that almost everyone will start and end saying it is the best visual platform to share images and videos. In fact there are lots of other beneficial things about Instagram which is why it has become the most popular platform for professionals from all walks of business and service.
If you have recently graduated and are an official graphic designer you too can make the best use of it provided you know and remember all the good things about it and implement it when you use this platform for your benefit.
Remember, simply knowing about the software is not enough until you master the meeting briefs, deadlines and also create a beautiful portfolio for your Instagram account. Being a fresh graduate and a novice designer simply going with the fanfare will not let clients and jobs find you. Nothing will fall onto your lap or into the right place until you are ready, pull up your socks and get social.
You will also need to do extensive research about it just to find out what is the best and most suitable online platform for you to demonstrate your work as well as establish a proper connect with the industry. However, the best way to reduce your effort and time is to select a few specific channels and master it to share and interact with other users on an unfailing basis.
In short, you must remember that whichever social media channel you select just make sure that it is definitively and properly linked from your website.
Tips for graphic designers
Instagram is good for showcasing your process of working and for finding or documenting inspirations that are innovative and creative. It is also very useful in stalking your future employers, competitors and others to facilitate interacting at a low-pressure level with the industry. However, there are a few things experts like Gramblast or others may suggest you to remember such as:
- Making your photos crisp and nice
- Using proper resolution or preferably 1080x1080px
- Interacting with other designers whom you find inspiring
- Commenting, sharing and replying to Instagram stories
- Connecting casually with the industry and trying to get on their radar
- Using proper and relevant hashtags of 2 to 4 words maximum to reach to a larger audience
- Making sure that your profile contains a clear description
- Incorporating a better and more effective link to your website
- Considering your grid layout
- Taking your strategy into account and
- Being consistent.
All these considerations will help you to create a better impression to the people at the very first glance. Make sure that you do not share personal photos on Instagram on your work. Ideally, you should make a specific Instagram account for the pictures of your work.
There are a few other things that you should remember such as showing more than what you want as a perfect outcome. For this you will need to document the creative process behind the image and share the perfect piece in your portfolio.
- You must also post images and/or videos on a regular basis and also make sure that you mention the projects that you specifically like along with the reason for your liking.
- Make sure that you tag along people or thing that you tell about as this will help people to find you easily. Do a bit of Google search to find the best hashtags and handles to designate when you share an image to make it more realistic in the feed.
- When you talk about yourself make sure that you also mention your interaction with others and balance it perfectly. Therefore, make sure you share alike as that will not cost you anything but in turn will support and enable your design idols and other cyberfriends to find you easily who are just a click away.
- Curate your images and project on a regular basis adding catchy captions so that the potential clients can easily track you down. Also make sure that you tag proper categories in your description as this will make you and your work more relatable.
- Keeping your profile updated is primary requirement but that does not mean you have to make it overly attractive. Make the best use of its power to connect you with your potential clients so that they can use this platform easily to research you easily.
- Integrating presentation decks in your profile is another way to make the best use of the social media platform to reach out to more people. This is effective even if you are looking for freelance work. Make sure that your own network is the best point to convey the fact that you are a designer and list in your profile.
- Also, mention things that you are up to that are related to design and make it certain that you share your website link. This will open the floodgates to new opportunities offered to you by several of your friends and a number of other friends of your friends.
- Instagram is the digital word of mouth that will help you to step into the real world. You will get into the right circles easily and will be able to foster newer and better opportunities for your design career. All you have to do is to know about the design world for which you will have to do some research to find out the design meet-ups in your region, annual conferences, and anyone off events.
Remember, the design world is very wide, extensive and varied and you will find a lot of interesting areas to explore.
As a designer, you need to possess higher aesthetic styles than other users of Instagram as the entire field is all about aesthetics. Your job is to make things appear pretty with better composition and balance. Your attention to minute details and remembering these expert tips will surely pay off just like the other designers.