There are lots of things that exist on the internet. One is a video of a dog blowing a bubble, and he isn’t using his mouth to do it. So what all happens if your dog accidentally consumes gum? Is there a risk and should you be worried? Grab a piece of your favorite gum and let’s get popping.
My Dog Just Ate Gum: What Do I Do?
The first thing you need to do is determine if the gum has xylitol. If it doesn’t, you don’t need to call your veterinarian unless you see bulging around their stomach or intestines. However, if you see that immediately call as they may have eaten enough gum to cause a blockage.
If the gum has xylitol, you should call your vet as soon as possible as toxicity is possible. As a general recommendation, one piece of gum with xylitol may be toxic to a 10-pound dog. It’s difficult to know just how much xylitol is in a piece of gum with all the different varieties.
Symptoms of Xylitol Toxicity
Regardless if your dog shows the following symptoms or not, contact your veterinarian.
- Falling Over
- Red spots on gums
Xylitol will cause a dog to produce too much insulin too fast. This can drop your dog’s blood sugar too low, and they can go into shock. Symptoms will often happen within the first hour or so — sometimes a delayed reaction can occur anytime within the first 72 hours. This is why you can’t trust whether you see symptoms or not.
What Questions Can You Expect When You Contact Your Veterinarian
Your vet will ask you a series of questions. Here’s what you can expect.
- What kind of gum did your dog eat and what are the ingredients?
- How much do you think they consumed and what’s their weight?
- How long ago did they eat the gum and are you seeing any symptoms?
If your dog has recently eaten gum containing xylitol — within the last 30 minutes to 2 hours, your veterinarian may have you induce vomiting. You’ll need 3 percent hydrogen peroxide solution. The peroxide will just irritate their stomachs and is safe as long as it’s 3%. You can create a doggy first aid kit that contains a syringe along with the H2O2.
Do I Need To Worry About Other Sugar-Free Gum?
Xylitol is an additive to sugar-free gum. Other additives you commonly see in sugarless gums are aspartame, mannitol, and sorbitol. However, unlike xylitol, these additives should not pose an issue to your dog.
Xylitol poisoning in dogs is serious and can lead to shock, liver failure, or a bleeding disorder. You can contact ASPCA’s Poison Control toll-free at 888-426-4435. They are open every day of the year — 24/7.
Hopefully, all that happens if they accidentally get into the bubblegum is a miraculous situation you’ll never wish to witness again *POP!*