Trademarks are an essential part of brand registration. It is a mark or design or a word that allows you to identify a product or service from the rest. It is important to make sure your trademark is registered and protected so that no one else can use it.
We all know how difficult a trademark registration process is. But, before you even start your trademark registration process, you need to do a trademark search to make sure your trademark is not used by anyone and is unique in nature.
Comprehensive Trademark Research
It is important for any organisation to perform a trademark search before going for trademark registration. In India, trademark registration is controlled by an organisation named Patent Designs and Trademark. They have a database where all the registered trademark details are stored. By performing a trademark search in the trademark database of patent designs and trademark, you can get information about all the trademarks that are registered and all the trademarks that have applied for the registration process. In this way, you can find out whether the trademark you are planning to use for your organisation is used by anyone else.
Step by Step Guide for Doing Trademark Research
- Connect to the Trademark database using your internet browser.
- In the search type, select the option “Wordmark”.
- Now enter the wordmark you need to search in the database. There are 3 options a user can choose from while performing a trademark search. They are a) start with b) contains and 3) match with.
- If you choose the start with the option, it will show all the records that start with your wordmark.
- If you choose contains, it will show all records that contain your word mark.
- If you choose a match with, it will display all the record that contain the matching word.
- Now, enter the class for the trademark. A trademark is classified into 45 classes. Each class represents a group of services that are distinct.
- Now, click on the search button to start your search.
- Once it shows the results, you need to look out for trademarks that are similar to yours. If you don’t find any trademark that is similar to yours or matching yours, you are good to go.
- If there are any matching trademarks, then, you need to change your trademark to ensure that your trademark is unique and not similar to the ones registered.
There are many organisations that design unique trademarks. It is always good to seek professional help when designing your trademark so that you can create a unique trademark that goes well with your product and services. Also, by hiring a professional designer, you can ensure your trademark is different from others and is unique, as professionals do a trademark search before starting the design process.
Trademark search is a must to perform an activity that should be done before you can submit the application for trademark registration online. By hiring the service of a professional, you can avoid all these complications. The professionals you have hired will take care of the trademark-related activities and make sure you get a well designed trademark that suits your product and services.